Valdemar Castle on the island of Tåsinge was built by Christian IV from 1639–44 for his son Valdemar Christian. Niels Juel bought the island of Tåsinge and the castle in 1677 for the money he had earned as the commander of Denmark’s famous naval victory in the Battle of Køge Bay. He restored the castle, which is still owned by the Juel Family.
The entire castle has been carefully fitted up as a manor house museum and is open to the public.
A restaurant has been fitted up under the chapel, and in summer food and drinks are served in Café Æblehaven. The castle is also the setting for a Danish Yachting Museum and Danish Toy Museum.